Open for Professionals

After Employment

When you begin working in Japan, it is important to know the Japanese laws and systems related to labour. In this page, we'll explain these systems and lay out information useful to foreign residents of Japan.

The Ministry of Justice launched a portal site to provide useful information for foreign nationals residing in Japan and for their supporters. This website contains a “Guidebook on Living and WorkingExternal site: a new window will open ” in Japan and also provides a list of related links.
A DAILY LIFE SUPPORT PORTAL FOR FOREIGN NATIONALSExternal site: a new window will open

Watch & Learn

Watch & Learn

Insurance Systems

The Japanese government has a full set of insurance systems that provides extensive coverage. Enrollment is mandatory for these public schemes. In many cases, the employers are required by law to enroll, and the insurance cost is deducted from the emolyee's salary along with taxes. This means that the salary you are actually paid will be less than what is in the contract.
This amount, with deductions including taxes and social insurance, is referred to as your tedori or take-home pay(net salary). Workers' accident compensation insurance fee, on the other hand, is covered entirely by the employer. This fee should never be deducted from wages.

Labour Laws & Where to Go for Help

The following online resources from the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare explains working conditions, workers safety and health, minimum wage, employment contracting, and workers’ accident compensation insurance.

If a worker suffers injury, illness, or death due to work or commute, there is payout of necessary insurance to the worker or the bereaved family. For more on the process of filing a compensation claim, please refer to the guide in the next page.

Industrial Accident Compensation Insurance Application Guidance for Foreign Workers (Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare) Volume 1PDF file (External site: a new window will open)(4.6MB) / Volume 2PDF file (External site: a new window will open)(8.5MB)

If you have questions about labour relations, start with the point of contact below.

Healthcare Providers

The Japanese government is working continuously to compile a list of healthcare providers that can better serve non-Japanese patients. If you prefer to communicate in your native language when receiving services from a healthcare provider, you can search through the JNTO website below.

Learning Japanese

Since Japanese is the dominant language in Japan, acquiring proficiency in Japanese empowers you to communicate in a way that is grounded to your daily life in your local community. Once you know where you will be living in Japan, find out where the Japanese language classes in the area are, through the following page.

Related Links