Generating Innovation with Japan Series in Toronto 2020
Generating Innovation with Japan: Toronto HealthTech
Unique Opportunity for Start-ups to Meet Potential Japanese Partners
Major Japanese firms, from manufacturing to finance to services in a whole variety of sectors, are increasingly looking to identify new innovation from Canadian start-ups in order to improve their business practices and to introduce new ideas and technology into the Japanese market and to their network of global clients.
For Canadian start-ups, the Japanese market (GDP: US$5.1 trillion; Pop.: 126 million) can be daunting but potentially hugely rewarding. One of the best ways to enter that market is through partnering with Japanese firms.
This event will provide a unique opportunity for start-ups and major Japanese firms to connect and share information. Through reverse-pitch presentations, Japanese firms will explain about their technology needs and, during the networking session and one-on-one meeting programme, start-ups can explain about their technology solutions.
Through this event, we aim to generate new innovation through partnerships between leading Japanese firms and innovative Canadian start-ups.
Japan External Trade Organization (JETRO)
Global Affairs Canada
University of Toronto
Invest in Canada
MaRS Discovery District
City of Markham
Greater Hamilton Region, Synapse Life Sciences Consortium
- February 20th
- Registration & Networking
- Generating Innovation with Japan (GIJ): Toronto HealthTech
- Networking Reception
- One-on-One Pre-arranged Business Meetings for Selected Companies: Organized by Ontario Government to be heald at ONRamp.
ONRamp at U of T Entrepreneurship, Banting Institute100 College St., Suite 150, Toronto, ON M5G 1L5
Parking is available in the MaRS building at either:
MaRS Discovery District Lot# 340 at 101 College St., Toronto, ON M5G 1L7
MaRS PHASE II Lot# 442 at 661 University Ave., Toronto, ON M5G 1M1
However the venue is very close to Queen Park subway station so using public transportation might be a good option.
- Registration & Networking
- Welcome / Opening Remarks
- Japanese Company Reverse-pitch Presentations
- Taiho Pharma Canada
- Sumitomo Chemical
- Kissei Pharma
- Sierra Systems an NTT Data Company
- Sumitomo Dainippon Pharma
- Hike Ventures
※See Japanese Company Profiles below for details.
- JETRO Services and Support
- Japan External Trade Organization (JETRO) is a Japanese Government trade and investment promotion agency under Japan’s Ministry of Economy Trade and Industry (METI) which provides free support for foreign companies to establish their presence in the Japanese market.
- Closing Remarks
- Networking Reception with coffee & light snacks
- One-on-One Pre-arranged Business Meetings
- Organized by Ontario Government at ONRamp.
- An Ontario Government representative will reach out to you and collect detailed information for B to B preparation.
Japanese Company Profiles
- Taiho Pharma Canada, Inc.
- Taiho Pharma Canada, Inc. works urgently to discover and develop innovative cancer treatments. As cancer evolves, we evolve with it—bringing novel technology to cornerstone chemotherapies, while at the same time optimizing new targeted agents. Advanced technology, dedicated investigators, and incomparable facilities—these vast resources empower us to redefine the way the world treats cancer. Furthermore, Taiho Pharma Canada exists to extend our important global research projects into Canada and to similarly look for Canadian innovation that can be included in our global endeavor to improve the lives of cancer patients. We look to create partnerships that can develop specific targeted therapies that will make a difference to the future of healthcare.
It's our work; it's our passion; it's our legacy.
- Sumitomo Chemical America
- Sumitomo Chemical America Inc (SCAI) is a group company of Sumitomo Chemical Japan searching for innovative technologies and startup companies that are expected to develop unique solutions to make the world better, safer and more environmental-friendly. Sumitomo Chemical is founded over 100 years ago and has been providing innovative technologies and creating new values. Its business fields have been expanded and diversified on world wide basis, such as pharmaceutical, agrochemicals, ICT related chemicals, energy and functional materials, and petro & plastics. Corporate Venturing & Innovation Office (CVI) in SCAI is engaged in technology scouting and research coordination with startups or academia related to ecosystem. CVI has two satellite offices in Cambridge MA, and San Mateo CA is actively studying industrial feasibility of various projects and cultivating innovative technologies proposed by promissing startups and experienced entrepreneurial companies. CVI’s priorities are to accelerate the development of next-generation technologies, next-gen portfolio business, and sustainable business growth. While SCAI is interested in many areas of new industrial technology, our innovation interest would focuses on four priority areas:
- Information and Communications Technology (ICT).
- Kissei Pharmaceutical
- Kissei is one of the public middle size Japanese pharmaceutical companies. The annual sales is about 560 MM USD. We are the R&D oriented company and invest in the R&D activity more than 20% of net sales every year. Our focus areas are urology, renal diseases including dialysis, and any other indications having the unmet medical needs including rare diseases. We are also interested in neurology, hematology, GI, and women's health.
We have full functions including discovery, non-clinical, CMC, clinical, pharmacovigilance, sales & marketing and so on in Japan. As a Japanese pharmaceutical company, we have a lot of licensing activities and experiences for in-licensing for Asian territory and out-licensing of our original new pharmaceutical agents. We also have many experiences of R&D collaboration with biotech and academia. We would like to explore the business collaboration opportunities for innovative assets and technology.
- Sierra Systems Group Inc. an NTT Data Company
- Sierra Systems an NTT Data Company is a Canadian based systems integrator that has a focus on cloud, AI, innovation and many other leading-edge technologies. We have 700 people in Canada. Sierra Systems is part of the $103B NTT family based in Tokyo, Japan. In Canada, our clients range from all levels of government, to SMB and large enterprise. We have been identified by several organizations as global leaders in IOT, Blockchain, Modern Workplace and Data technologies. NTT have an annual R&D budget of $2.1B that is spent on developing proof of concept technologies with partners around the world. We have a solid base in Ontario serving many of the large organizations based in the Province. Sierra Systems and NTT Data Company partners with all major software vendors including Microsoft, IBM, Oracle, Google, AWS and ServiceNow.
Sierra Systems an NTT Data Company is interested in tech start-ups with a focus on AI, Health Care or a solution in one of the following subject areas: Augmented Intelligence for Personalized Health Care, Reducing the Need for In-Patient Care, Health Care for Underserved Populations, Preventing Account Takeover Fraud in the life insurance industry, and Optimization using Advanced Technologies.
- Sumitomo Dainippon Pharma Co., Ltd.
- Sumitomo Dainippon Pharma (”Sumitomo”) is a top-ten listed pharmaceutical companies in Japan, operating globally including Japan, the U.S., China and the European Union. Today, Sumitomo has more than 6,000 employees worldwide.
Sumitomo aims to become a "global specialized player" whose presence is felt throughout the world in the therapeutic areas of CNS, Oncology and regenerative medicine/cell therapy.
We are actively seeking partners (research collaboration/licensing/investment), especially in the neurology field at this event. We have expanded our Search and Evaluation team not only in Japan but also in North America (based in Cambridge, MA) to find early stage (Lead Optimization to Ph2a) opportunities. Our R&D capability in the CNS area leverages the potential partners’ cutting-edge technologies/assets for creating innovative drug candidates for unmet medical needs.
The summary of our partnership so far is shown in the web page https://www.ds-pharma.com/rd/research-alliances/
- Hitachi Ltd.
- Hitachi, which will celebrate the 110th year since its founding 2020, in accordance with its mission, "Contribute to society through the development of superior, original technology and products", has responded to the expectations of society and its customers through innovation. Established as manufacturer of five-horsepower induction motors, Hitachi has not only developed its ability to create products, but has honed its abilities to control and operational technologies (OT) in more than 100 years it has operated as a manufacturer, as well as its knowledge in information technologies (IT) over the past 50 years. Hitachi's Social Innovation Business combines Hitachi's OT, IT and products to create new value and resolve social issues.
Capital: 458,790 million yen (as of end of March 2019)
Number of employees: 33,490 (as of end of March 2019)
Consolidated number of employees: 295,941 (as of end of March 2019)
Revenues(for the fiscal year ended March 31, 2019)
Net Sales: 1,927,241 million yen
Consolidated revenues: 9,480,619 million yen (approximately US$90B)
- Hike Ventures
- Hike Ventures (www.hikevc.com) is a seed-stage venture capital based in San Francisco and Tokyo. We are looking for founders who are solving well-defined problems differently by leveraging AI. We are industry agnostic. In the past, we have invested in startups in healthcare, legal, supply chain, and mobility spaces. We work with our portfolio founders to raise money from Silicon Valley and Tokyo. We also leverage our network with Japanese companies to help startups at any stage to go to the Japan market.
- Marubeni Canada Ltd.
- Marubeni Corporation is a Japanese Sogo Shosha – a general trading and investment company with presence in over 67 countries and regions, and with over 430 consolidated companies. Marubeni Corporation use its’ broad business network to conduct import/export business, as well as domestic distribution business, natural resource development, and financing. Marubeni is active across wide-ranging fields including lifestyle, ICT & real estate business, forest products, food, agri business, chemicals, power business, energy, metals & mineral resources, plant, aerospace & ship, finance & leasing business, construction, auto & industrial machinery, and next generation business development.
Marubeni is embarking on a new journey, to create a new business unbound by the conventions of the past. Healthcare & Medical Business is one of our focus area. Marubeni has recently invested in an AI Medical Imaging Diagnostic Systems Developer in the USA, and entered into a market development with another AI enabled Imaging Diagnostics company in Canada. Marubeni continues to search for potential partners in developing our presence in this sector. Marubeni Canada Ltd. - the Canadian Headquarters for Marubeni, plays a vital role in connecting Canadian startup companies with Marubeni across the globe.
- Ono Pharma USA, Inc.
(Participating but not presenting)
- ONO has taken a new step beyond the major milestone of the 300th anniversary, since its establishment in 1717 as an apothecary in Osaka, Japan. Now, ONO become a pharma company with full capability from initial research to the marketing. Current annual revenue and employee numbers are 2.9 billion USD and 3604 (as of March 31, 2019). (http://www.ono.co.jp/eng/default.htm)
Upholding the corporate philosophy “Dedicated to Man’s Fight against Disease and Pain,” we make united efforts to create innovative drugs that are globally competitive. Optimizing our strengths with an eye to the future, we are in active pursuit of becoming “Global Specialty Pharma,” an R&D-oriented global pharmaceutical company specialized in particular areas.
By strengthening strategic alliances globally, we endeavor to bolster our drug discovery capability, introducing breakthrough drug discovery seeds and leading-edge technologies from biotech companies.
Registration Deadline Registration is closed.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Tel:1-416-861-0000 Ext.: 206