Investing in Japan
How to Set Up Business in Japan
Provides an overview of the laws, regulations and procedures related to setting up a business in Japan, as well as an easy-to-follow Flowchart outlining the basic steps and a Model Case showing approximate start-up costs.
Laws & Regulations on Setting Up Business in Japan
- Full text(1.7MB) October 2017
Laws & Regulations on Setting Up Business in Japan Latest Update (Revise Point)
2017.10.31Based on legal revision of the 2017 fiscal year, all of the items of Section1 - 5 are Update.All Section
Definitions and comparisons of various business operations; procedures and guidelines for establishing/registering each of these distinct operations in Japan.
- 1.1 Types of operation in Japan
- 1.2 Comparison of types of business operation
- 1.3 Procedures for registering establishment
- 1.4 Information listed in articles of incorporation of a company
- 1.5 Certificate on registered company information and company seal impression certificate
- 1.6 Notifications required after registration
- 1.7 Closure of branch offices or subsidiary companies
Entry procedures into Japan, conditions and provisions that apply to various types of visas and working/residence statuses; the alien registration process; details concerning family members accompanying foreign nationals.
- 2.1 Entry procedures
- 2.2 Relation between visa and status of residence
- 2.3 Process from acquisition of Certificate of Eligibility to acquisition of visa
- 2.4 Types of working statuses
- 2.5 Temporary visitor visa and status
- 2.6 Reciprocal visa exemptions for temporary visitor
- 2.7 Resident card and residency management system
- 2.8 Re-entry permission
- 2.9 Family members accompanying working foreign nationals
Aspects of Japan's tax systems most relevant to a foreign corporation/individual investing in Japan (emphasis on corporate tax structures, tax treaties as well as personal and consumption taxes).
- 3.1 Overview of Japanese corporate tax system for investment in Japan
- 3.2 Domestic-sourced income
- 3.3 Overview of corporate income taxes (corporate tax, corporate inhabitant tax, enterprise tax)
- 3.4 Overview of withholding income tax
- 3.5 Tax treaties
- 3.6 Overview of consumption tax
- 3.7 Overview of individual tax system
Japan's labor laws and regulations; topics include; recruitment; employment contracts; wages, working hours; work rules; workplace safety and hygiene requirements; resignation and dismissal procedures and Japan's social security, health and pension systems.
Japan's trademark and design protection systems; registration validities, periods of protection as well as trademark and design registration procedures.
- Writer :
SECTION 1. Sakiko AKIYAMA, Judicial Scrivener, Blakemore & Mitsuki
SECTION 2. Tetsuya Iida, Certified Administrative Procedures Legal Specialist, In Control Legal Support Services
SECTION 3. Naoko Sato, Tax accountant, Sato & Akasaki Accounting Office
SECTION 4. Satoshi NAGAURA, Social Insurance and Labor Consultant, Nagaura Personnel Management Office
SECTION 5. Tetsuo TACHIBANA, Patent Attorney, Tachibana International Patent Office
- Editor / Publisher :
- Invest Japan Department, Japan External Trade Organization (JETRO)
Looks at the approximate costs of establishing two types of business in Japan, including everything from obtaining visas to real estate broker fees.
Most frequently asked questions about setting up business in Japan.