Infrastructure with Japan
What is JETRO?
The Japan External Trade Organization (JETRO) is a Japanese government-related organization that works to promote mutual trade and investment between Japan and the rest of the world covering a whole range of sectors. JETRO's main focus is to promote foreign direct investment (FDI) into Japan and to help Japanese firms maximize their global export potential.
In the area of infrastructure specifically, JETRO Toronto’s role is two-fold:
1) to support foreign companies looking to become active in Japan’s infrastructure market, a priority for Prime Minister Abe’s economic rejuvenation plans, by fostering partnerships and assistance in setting up entities and facilities;
2) to provide a conduit into Canada’s P3 market for Japanese firms by developing a comprehensive network of contacts in Canada.
Japan as Partner
Japan's infrastructure development sector possesses excellent problem-solving skills, honed during years of experience to date. Japanese firms have been increasingly active in global infrastructure projects and, with their advanced technology and commitment to quality and on-time delivery, can be excellent partners for infrastructure projects in Canada and globally from area development, traffic & transportation, public facilities, ICT, energy and wastewater.
To find out more about Japanese participation in global infrastructure projects, please find examples provided by the Government of Japan’s ‘Design Tomorrow: Infrastructure with Japan’ pamphlet and videos. Key concepts highlighted are: 1) Technologies for Local Needs; 2) Co-Creation; 3) Long-term Commitment; and 4) Lifecycle Economic Efficiency:
Examples of ‘Infrastructure with Japan’ in North America and Europe:
- Intercity High-Speed Railways in the U.K. (video)
- Designing Subway Cars in New York (video)
- SCMAGLEV linking Washington DC and New York in just one hour (video)
Tyson Garbe, Assistant Director, Trade & Investment
416-861-0000 x203; Tyson_Garbe@jetro.go.jp
JETRO will be co-sponsoring the day-2 breakfast session at CCPPP’s Annual Conference. Please come and join us!
CCPPP Annual Conference Website