News & Updates
NET ZERO Leaders Summit （Japan Business Conference 2021）: Meeting the challenge to achieve carbon neutrality through a positive cycle of economic growth and environmental protection
Aug 26, 2021
Final Exhibition Program
Sharing the Appeal of Japan's Startup Ecosystem
“Global Startup Connection -J-Startups for NET ZERO-”
September 9 (Thu) & 10 (Fri)
Presented by Japan’s Ministry of Economy, Trade & Industry
- Selected Speakers for Online Events Organized by JETRO Overseas Offices
Admission to the virtual venue is open until Sep.10 (Fri)
Registration(free of charge)
The online event "NET ZERO Leaders Summit (Japan Business Conference 2021)," which offers you information on the attractiveness of Japan's investment environment and efforts to realize Net Zero (organized by the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry and Japan External Trade Organization [JETRO] at a virtual venue from July 28 to September 10), will hold its final program "Global Startup Connection -J-Startups for NET ZERO-" for two days, on Thursday, September 9, and Friday, September 10. Japanese tech startups and large companies that contribute to Net Zero will gather for the event.
In addition, speakers have been decided for three JETRO overseas office-sponsored events. At the event hosted by the Sydney office starting August 30, Legal Counsel ITO Genichiro will take the stage to explain laws and regulations that should be understood when investing in Japan.
At the event hosted by the Hong Kong office from September 3, Appier Inc. of Taiwan and Mojo Innovations Limited of Hong Kong, who are aiming to expand their business to the world with Japan as a funding base, will introduce their development activities in Japan during the COVID era.
And at the event co-hosted by the London and Dusseldorf offices from September 7, we will welcome JETRO advisor NAGATA Yuji; Ingo BIRNKRAUT, CEO and Managing Director of RWE Technology International GmbH; and NAKAGAWA Shigeru, Managing Director of Cell Impact Japan Inc., to discuss the research and development trends of Japanese renewable energy primarily in the hydrogen and fuel cell fields, and business tips in relation to European companies working with Japan. Please refer to page 3 onwards for detailed information.
Startups are a driving force of innovation creation. In Japan, the formation of a startup ecosystem has been developing in recent years, and many startups that commercialize advanced technologies of universities and research institutes are being created.
In this event, the efforts by Japanese tech startups to contribute to the carbon neutrality and SDGs, large companies that work together with startups and the potential of startups and ecosystems will be shown through lectures, panel discussions and pitches by management executives. We will show propositions for cooperation aimed at foreign and domestic investors, companies and entrepreneurs, so please join us.
Day 1: streaming available from September 9th 0:00 to September 10th 23:59（JST）
- Opening Message
Parliamentary Vice-Minister of Economy, Trade and Industry Mr. MUNEKIYO Kouichi
- Keynote Speech
Net Zero and a Startup-Sustainable World as Drawn by Euglena
- Ms. KAWASAKI Rena (Euglena Chief Future Officer)
- Mr. IZUMO Mitsuru (Euglena President)
- Panel Discussion:
“Is Japan's Startup Ecosystem Contributing to the World?”
- Mr. Justin WALDRON (Zynga joint founder PLAY CO)
- Mr. Jonathan SIEGEL (Xenon Partners CEO)
- Mr. Tim ROMERO (Head of Google for Startups Japan) Moderator
- VC Session:
Potential of Japan's Startup Ecosystem as Seen by Venture Capitalists
- Mr. HONMA Masahiko (Incubate Fund)
- Ms. Kathy MATSUI (General Partner, MPower Partners Fund L.P.)
Day 2: streaming available from September 10th 0:00 to 23:59（JST）
- J-Startups for Net Zero: Pitch Session
Presentation to the world by J-Startups working on Net Zero
(10 start-ups from J-Startup and Regional J-Startup Program take the stage.)
Spiber, Japan Environment PLANning, Microwave Chemical, TELEXISTENCE, Challenergy, Ale, FARMSHIP, SyncMOF, mui Lab, HERALBONY
- Collaborative calls from large companies: Reverse pitch
Presentations by high-ranking companies in the "Innovative Large Group Corporate Ranking" selected by Japanese startups
- Explanation of large company ranking: Innovation Leaders Summit Mr. MATSUTANI Takuya
- KDDI Business Incubation Promotion Department Group Leader Ms. UCHIDA Kyoko
- Toyota / Woven Planet HD Vice President Mr. SAIJO Hiroshi
- JR East Japan Startup President Mr. SHIBATA Hiroshi
- Sony New Business Creation Department General Manager Mr. ODASHIMA Shinji
- NTT DOCOMO Ventures President Ms. SASAHARA Yuko
- Closing Message: Invitation to Japan’s Startup Ecosystem
Mr. YAMAKAWA Yasuhiro (Babson College Associate Professor)
Languages: English, Japanese
* The program is available on the virtual venue of the NET ZERO Leaders Summit.
(* Pre-registration is required. Attendance is free.: NET ZERO Leaders Summit Japan Business Conference 2021(JETRO))
In the "Japan Technology Showcase" area of the virtual venue, 54 large, small and medium-sized companies and local governments, including startups, are exhibiting at online booths to introduce Japan's latest technologies and services. Participants can enter with their own avatar to chat with exhibitors and make individual appointments.
Exhibitors will be available for live interaction at the time of the events
- August 30 (Mon): 2pm-7pm (JST)
- September 3 (Fri): 10am-3pm (JST)
- September 7 (Tue): 4pm-9pm (JST)
- September 9 (Thu) & 10 (Fri): 4pm-6pm (JST)
* When the exhibitors are absent, you can contact them using the individual meeting setting function or email function provided in each exhibitor's booth.
* Exhibitor list: NET ZERO Leaders Summit Japan Business Conference 2021(JETRO)
Details of the remaining three JETRO overseas office events are confirmed. You are welcome to view these events at the virtual venue of the NET ZERO Leaders Summit until September 10th 23:59(JST).
(* Pre-registration is required. Attendance is free. : NET ZERO Leaders Summit Japan Business Conference 2021(JETRO))
- August 30 (Mon) 15:00 (JST)- / 16:00 (AEST)-
- Event title
- Building Your Business in Japan – Business Law Essentials for Australians
- Mr. ITO Genichiro, Legal Counsel
- Hosted by
- JETRO Sydney
- JETRO Sydney is pleased to present the webinar series “Building Your Business in Japan – Business Law Essentials for Australians”.
We encourage all companies, especially Australian companies, which have innovative ideas and aspirations to succeed in Japan to participate. The opportunity for innovative Australian companies to solve complex issues both in Japan and in partnership globally has never been clearer.
Japanese government policies and funding are fostering the development of innovation and technology and attracting innovative companies into the Japanese market. This webinar series will help you to understand:
- The business opportunities in Japan for companies, especially Australian companies;
- The types of business structure;
- How to set up/register your business in Japan; and
- Key legal issues around fundraising in Japan.
- September 3 (Fri) 11:00 (JST)- / 10:00 (HKT)-
- Event title
- Why Japan? How to Utilize Japan to Make Success
- Hosted by
- JETRO Hong Kong
- Dr. Chih-Han YU, Chief Executive Officer / Co-Founder, Appier Inc. (Taiwan)
- Dr. David WILLIAMS, President, Global Digital MOJO K.K./Mojo Innovations Limited (Hong Kong)
- Despite the impact of the spread of COVID-19, there are still many foreign companies looking to expand into Japan. Some of them are using Japan as a base to raise capital and expand their business globally. In this seminar, we are pleased to welcome Appier Inc., a Taiwanese AI SaaS company listed on the Tokyo Stock Exchange Mothers in March 2021, to introduce its experience and future business development in Japan, and Mojo Innovations Limited, a Hong Kong-based digital innovation company which is taking the lead in designing and executing an accelerator program in Japan, to discuss the current state of the Japanese market and the Japanese startup ecosystem with an eye on the post-COVID-19 era.
(Details: Event Schedule | NET ZERO Leaders Summit Japan Business Conference 2021(JETRO))
- September 7 (Tues) 17:00 (JST)/ 9:00 (BST)/ 10:00 (CET)
- Event title
- Japan’s Hydrogen Fuel Cell Sector – Opportunities, Lessons & Advice
- Mr. NAGATA Yuji, JETRO advisor
- Mr. Ingo BIRNKRAUT, CEO and Managing Director, RWE Technology International GmbH
- Mr. NAKAGAWA Shigeru, Managing Director, Cell Impact Japan Inc.
- Hosted by
- JETRO Tokyo, JETRO London, JETRO Düsseldorf
- Focusing on the hydrogen and fuel cell fields, we will introduce R&D trends and business opportunities for foreign companies in the Japanese renewable energy sector. In addition, we will welcome RWE and Cell Impact, two European companies already collaborating with Japanese companies in the field, to share their experience and hints for doing business in Japan with Japanese companies.
(Details: 「Event Schedule)
* The events of JETRO Singapore on August 11 and the North American office on August 13 will also be available in the archive at the virtual venue of the NET ZERO Leaders Summit until September 10 (Friday).
(* Pre-registration is required. Attendance is free.:Registration)
The NET ZERO Leaders Summit (Japan Business Conference 2021) aims to promote the attractiveness of Japan's investment environment and efforts to achieve Net Zero.
- Japan’s Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI), Japan External Trade Organization (JETRO)
- Event date
- From Wednesday July 28, 2021, online
* The virtual platform will be open from 10:00 am on July 28 till 11:59 pm on September 10 (JST)
Global Startup Connection -J-Startups for NET ZERO-
We will hear about the efforts of Japanese tech startups that contribute to carbon neutrality and SDGs and the potential of large companies and startup ecosystems that promote collaboration with startups, through lectures by management, panel discussions and pitches.
Held for two days, September 9 (Thursday) and 10 (Friday)
(Details: Event Schedule)
- "Main Program" featuring global leaders* Available until September 10th
- Panel discussion with 15 leaders who are active on the front lines of the world discuss the trends towards Net Zero.
- “Events hosted by JETRO overseas offices”
- Held sequentially from Wednesday, August 11 (Each event can be viewed until September 10)
(Details: Event Schedule)
- “Japan Technology Showcase”
- Fifty-four companies and local governments with advanced Japanese technology and services will hold PR booths at our virtual venue to showcase the appeal of the investment environment in Japan
- “Video Library”
- Discover videos related to the attractiveness of Japan's investment environment and the realization of carbon neutrality.
- Communication by avatar
- In our virtual venue, participants can use avatars to communicate in real time with exhibitors and other participants
- Contact information: General public
- NET ZERO Leaders Summit（Japan Business Conference 2021）Secretariat
- Contact information: Press
- NET ZERO Leaders Summit（Japan Business Conference 2021）Public Relations Office