News & Updates
Proposing solutions for Japanese social challenges Forty-five overseas startups from 18 countries and regions gather at CEATEC
Oct 06, 2021
Japan's largest tech event, "the Combined Exhibition of Advanced Technologies (CEATEC) 2021 Online," (hereinafter CEATEC) will take place from October 19 to 22 under the theme of Society 5.0. Within this online event, JETRO will set up the "JETRO Global Connection" booth consisting of 45 startups engaged in solving social challenges from 18 countries and regions. With the slogan "Japan's future created together with overseas startups" on this occasion its aim is to facilitate collaboration (open innovation) between overseas startups and Japanese companies and local governments, help solve social challenges Japan has been facing and contribute to the sustainable development goals (SDGs).
JETRO conducted a contest titled "Japan Challenge for Society5.0" for the first time geared toward international startups from this June. The aforementioned three social challenges Japan has been facing—which were revealed from the results of a survey of Japanese companies, such as members of the Japan Electronics and Information Technology Industries Association (JEITA)—were decided as themes of the contest. In line with these themes, approximately 300 unique solutions were proposed from across the globe, among which 45 proposals submitted by startups from 18 countries and regions were adopted. These excellent startups will take part in "JETRO Global Connection," which JETRO will set up within CEATEC, and present their solutions.
- Japan External Trade Organization (JETRO)
- October 19 (Tue.) - 22 (Fri.), 2021.
- Number of startups:45
- Country and Region: Canada, China Mainland, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Hungary, India, Israel, Netherlands, Singapore, South Korea, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Turkey, United States, United Kingdom
* Swedish and Hungarian startups will participate in CEATEC for the first time.
* Please visit the link below to see details of exhibitors.
- Contest Winners of Japan Challenge for Society 5.0 -Accelerate Innovation with Japan-
- Japan's future created together with overseas startups
- Environmental Friendliness
(Carbon neutrality, eco-friendly materials, batteries, food and agri-tech)
- Labor Shortage and Improving Productivity
(Digital twins, DX, manpower saving, smart factories and smart construction)
- Smart and Resilient Japan
(Smart cities, disaster prevention and development of resilient urban areas, next-generation transportation and logistics and data security)
- Environmental Friendliness
- * About CEATEC
- CEATEC, held under the theme of Society 5.0, is one of Japan's largest tech events, and with the first fair in 2000, this year marks its 22nd occasion. Following last year's event, which was held completely online for the first time due to the corona crisis, it will take place virtually this year as well under the slogan “CEATEC 2021-Toward Society 5.0 with the New Normal.” The last run had a total of 130,661 visitors. It is organized by the Japan Electronics and Information Technology Industries Association (JEITA). Admission is free of charge.
- CEATEC official website: https://www.ceatec.com/en/
Innovation Promotion Division, Innovation and Intellectual Property Department,
Japan External Trade Organization (JETRO)
PIC: Ms. Mori, Mr. Goto, Ms. Sato, Mr. Takano
Tel: +81-3-3582-5543 E-mail: IID@jetro.go.jp