News & Updates
JETRO Global Connection at CEATEC 2020 ONLINE with largest-ever scale of participation, 45 companies from 17 countries and regions
Oct 12, 2020
Discovering promising new overseas startups active in the new normal world and holding online meetups
The Japan External Trade Organization (JETRO) is organizing JETRO Global Connection, where it will conduct business matching between international startups and Japanese companies at the Combined Exhibition of Advanced Technologies (CEATEC) 2020 ONLINE. CEATEC is Japan's largest tech event and this year it is taking place virtually from October 20 to 23, hosted by the CEATEC Management Office.
In setting up JETRO Global Connection, JETRO utilized its overseas network to uncover about 160 promising startups specialized in CEATEC's focus areas of mobility, health tech and smart cities under its slogan “Toward Society 5.0 with the New Normal.” From among them, 45 leading companies from 17 countries and regions have been chosen to participate in the event. The startups are from India, Korea, Singapore, Taiwan, China, Canada, the US, the UK, Switzerland, Germany, Poland, Romania, Israel, Turkey, Brazil, Mexico and Russia. By field, 21 companies are involved in mobility, 21 in health tech and 19 companies in smart cities (numbers include duplicates).
The event will be attended by companies already putting their technologies to practical use amidst the corona crisis, such as Neolix Technologies Co., Ltd. (China), provider of small self-driving vehicles that can also be used for unmanned delivery; Unima (Mexico), which provides special test kits and remote diagnostic platforms that enable medical treatment of illness from a single drop of blood; and Cyberworks Robotics Inc (Canada), developer of a SaaS autonomous driving technology platform. In addition, a large number will participate from countries that have been producing unique startups, such as Turkey and Poland.
JETRO established its Innovation Promotion Division in April 2019 with the aim of strengthening business matching between Japanese companies working on open innovation and overseas companies like startups. We will continue to actively promote cross-border open innovation.
- : Japan External Trade Organization (JETRO)
- : October 20 (Tue.) - 23 (Fri.), 2020 Total number of exhibitors: 45 (Refer to appendix)
- : Overseas Startups Active in the New Normal World
- Focus areas
- : Mobility, health tech and smart cities
(1) Online seminars: “JETRO Global Connection@CEATEC 2020 - Come into contact with global trends in the New Normal era”
- Oct. 15, 2020: Smart City Night, 20:00-21:00 (JST)
- As official pre-events for CEATEC 2020 ONLINE, JETRO is holding online seminars under the themes of the focus areas. In addition to case studies of open innovation between Japanese companies and overseas startups, as well as the latest information in each field, both in country and overseas, we are providing information on the overseas startups scheduled to exhibit at JETRO Global Connection.
(2) Online networking:
On October 22, JETRO will hold an online networking event between overseas startups exhibiting at JETRO Global Connection and Japanese companies.
- About CEATEC:
- CEATEC is one of the largest tech events in Japan, and with the first fair in 2000, this year marks its 21st event. Normally held at Makuhari Messe, it will take place virtually this year for the first time under the slogan “CEATEC 2020-Toward Society 5.0 with the New Normal.” This will be JETRO’s fourth participation.
Official website: CEATEC 2020 ONLINE
Innovation Promotion Division, Innovation and Intellectual Property Department, Japan External Trade Organization (JETRO)
PIC: Ms. Sasaki, Mr. Danno, Mr. Sato, Mr. Goto