Conclusion of comprehensive cooperation agreement with University of Tsukuba
On August 5, JETRO concluded an agreement on the promotion of comprehensive cooperation with the University of Tsukuba through holding a signing ceremony with President NAGATA Kyosuke of the University of Tsukuba and JETRO Chairman and CEO SASAKI Nobuhiko. The university is the 15th major global university with which JETRO has concluded such an agreement in Japan. Based on the agreement, both parties will work even more closely together in the following fields: (1) Co-creation of innovation through international collaboration between industry and academia, (2) Development of the regional ecosystem through the growth of startups originated from the university, and (3) Formation of a region open to the world through cultivating and securing highly-skilled global human resources.
Main fields for collaboration
Primarily through the following activities, JETRO will work together with the University of Tsukuba in a broader and more multifaceted manner:
- (1) Co-creation of innovation through international collaboration between industry and academia
- Deepening cooperation between the activities of the University of Tsukuba for international collaboration between industry and academia, and the international business knowhow and overseas network of JETRO which has 76 offices in 55 countries, both parties will promote industry-academia collaboration, such as between foreign companies, groups and industrial clusters.
- Through forming an international bio-community at the "Tsukuba Digital-Bio International Center," both sides aim to promote innovation using the strengths of the University of Tsukuba, including digital bio-economy and smart cities, and implement such innovation in society.
- Collaboration will be enhanced by setting up the JETRO Desk within the "Tsukuba Digital-Bio International Center."
- (2) Development of a regional ecosystem through the growth of startups originated from the university
- Working together with the University of Tsukuba, JETRO aims to expedite the growth of startups and develop the regional ecosystem through improving acceleration programs geared toward startups, and assisting them in expanding business overseas via JETRO's local networks overseas.
- (3) Formation of a region open to the world through cultivating and securing highly-skilled global human resources
- For foreign students with the desire to find a job or start business in Japan, through JETRO's program "Open for Professionals," it will facilitate employment such as in local firms, group and research institutes.
- Cultivation of highly-skilled global human resources will be conducted aimed at students with an international background or intention to be active on the global stage.
- Working with the University of Tsukuba, JETRO will make efforts to foster digital human resources necessary for globalization.