Companies Chosen for Global Innovation Centers Subsidy Program Announced
Aug 10, 2016
JETRO is pleased to announce the third group of recipients for the Global Innovation Centers Subsidy Program. This program subsidizes the cost companies accure when settng up innovation centers, experimental studies, or feasibility studies (F/S) in Japan in collaboration with local Japanese companies.
|No.||Company Name||Nationality||Industrial Field|
|1||Agilis Biotherapeutics, LLC||USA||Regenerative Medicine|
|3||Pfizer Japan Inc.||USA||IoT|
This program is now in its fourth deadline phase. Companies that wish to apply for this subsidy program must submit their application by 12:00 p.m. Friday, September 9, 2016.
HOW TO APPLY
Companies interested in subsidizing their projects through this program must meet the following requirements:
Type of Projects Eligible:
Projects eligible for this subsidy include (1) the establishment of global innovation centers, (2) experimental studies, or (3) feasibility studies (F/S) in Japan with respect to regenerative medicine or Internet of Things (IoT).
- Establishment of global innovation centers refers to establishment of R&D sites, including accompanying facilities such as manufacturing, sales, or administration. NOTE: relocation and consolidation of existing sites in Japan are not eligible for the subsidy.
- Experimental studies refer to experiments conducted by a foreign company in collaboration with Japanese companies, such as research or data collection. Experiments must contrubute to the practical application of technologies, products, or services in Japan. All technologies, products, or services must either already be in use or be expected to be in use in foreign countries (such as the country where the foreign company's headquarters is located).
- Feasibility studies (F/S) refer to activities such as market research conducted by a foreign company in collaboration with Japanese companies or organizations. Feasibility studies must contribute to the practical application of technologies, products, or services in Japan. All technologies, products, or services must either already be in use or be expected to be in use in foreign countries (such as the country where the foreign company's headquarters is located).
Specific Project Qualifications for Eligibility:
Subsidized projects must satisfy all of the listed requirements:
- The subsidized company must be a company whose parent company, or ultimate parent company, is a corporation founded or organized under the law of a foreign country and currently engaged in active operations.
- The research related to the subsidized project must be connected to regenerative medicine or IoT.
- The subsidized company must have favorable prospects of capital or business collaboration with Japanese companies, universities, public research institutions or other organizations.
- The investment plan submitted for this subsidy program should not have been announced or commenced before the cabinet decision on the FY2015 Supplementary Budget Plan made on December 18, 2015.
NOTE: Candidate companies (including branch offices in Japan) do not need to have corporate status in Japan at the time of application for this subsidy program. After the grant notification, however, the companies must have corporate status in Japan by the time they petition for the grant.
Categories of Eligible Costs, Subsidy Rates
|Project category||Details||Subsidy Rates|
|(1)||Establishment of global innovation centers||Design, facility purchase and rental, equipment and machinery, construction, surveying and tests, etc.||Up to one-third|
|(2)||Experimental studies||Costs for researchers’ employment, business trips, interpretation and translation, outsourcing, tests, equipment and machinery, etc.||Up to two-thirds|
|Costs for researchers’ employment, business trips, interpretation and translation, outsourcing, etc.||
(up to JPY 10 million)
PROJECT COMPLETION PERIOD
In principle, the projects shall be completed by Friday, February 3, 2017. (Not only the operations but also all of the related payments shall be completed by the subsidized company.)
APPLICATION SUBMISSION PROCESS
Period of Application
This subsidy program is accepting applications until September 9, 2016. Applications will be reviewed March 10, 2016; May 13, 2016, and July 8, 2016.
Subsidy awards are handed out on a rolling basis; because the amount of overall subsidy is limited, it is strongly recommended companies apply earlier in the year than later.
NOTE: The public announcement for this subsidy program will remain available from Friday, February 16, 2016 to Friday to September 9, 2016 (12:00 p.m. Japan Time).
Please download the Application Guidelines and Application Forms from below. After filling out the forms, deliver them to the JETRO Tokyo office in person or by postal service (see JETRO Tokyo office address below). Fax or email applications will not be accepted.
Application Guidelines (424KB)
Application Forms (92KB)
(Reference) Outline of the Program (302KB)
(Reference) Graphic Image of the Outline of the Program (393KB)
Application Forms in Japanese : Application Guidelines & Forms (Japanese)
Submitting the Application
Please submit applications to:
Secretariate for Subsidy Program for Global Innovation Centers
Invest Japan Department, JETRO
12-32 Akasaka 1-Chome, Minatoku-Tokyo, 107-6006, JAPAN
TEL: +81-(0)3-3582-5234 | E-Mail: email@example.com
Application forms MUST be delivered in person or by postal service to the JETRO Tokyo office. Fax or email applications will not be accepted.
(Only Available in Japanese, Reservation Required)
Due to the size of the venue, number of people from each group shall be one or two. Reservation is on a first-come and first-served basis.
Wednesday, February 24 , 2016
|IBSC Hall, 7th floor of JETRO Tokyo||70 seats||Reserve for Tokyo Session|
Monday, February 29 , 2016
|Meeting Room, JETRO Osaka||40 seats||Reserve for Osaka Session|
*Directions to the venue will be sent to the registered e-mail address.
*After a briefing session, individual consultation will be held (20 minutes each, for the first ten groups). Reservation can be made by phone call.