How to Set Up Business in Japan Laws & Regulations on Setting Up Business in Japan

Section 2. Visas and Status of Residence

Re-entry permission

2.8.1 What is re-entry permission?

A foreign national residing in Japan who wishes to leave Japan temporarily within his/her permitted period of stay and, after traveling to his/her home country or a third country, to enter and reside in Japan again with the same status of residence as before needs to apply for and receive re-entry permission. Under this system, a foreign national who receives re-entry permission before leaving Japan does not need to apply for an entry visa again at a Japanese diplomatic mission abroad prior to re-entering Japan, and can reside in Japan after re-entry with the same status of residence held prior to leaving Japan. Please note that departing Japan without receiving this re-entry permission will result in forfeiture of the status of residence and the period of stay previously granted.

2.8.2 Types of re-entry permits

There are two types of re-entry permits: single re-entry permit, which allows only one re-entry into Japan during the period of validity, and multiple re-entry permit, with which one can leave and re-enter Japan any number of times during the period of validity. Multiple re-entry permit is especially convenient for those persons who must often travel back and forth between Japan and the parent company or other foreign business locations. It is not possible to obtain re-entry permission exceeding the permitted period of stay in Japan. In addition, persons staying in Japan on a temporary visitor status of residence are not normally eligible for re-entry permission.

2.8.3 Application method

As a general rule, the foreign national must personally appear at the Regional Immigration Bureau (or branch office thereof) having jurisdiction for the location in which he/she resides to apply for re-entry permission. However, if the foreign national is under the age of 16 or is unable to appear personally due to illness or some other reason, a parent or spouse may apply on his/her behalf. The applicant also need not appear personally at the Immigration Bureau if applying through an application agent who has been authorized by the Immigration Bureau or has registered with the Immigration Bureau as an application agent.

2.8.4 Necessary documentation, fees, etc.

  • Application for re-entry permission
  • Passport (re-entry permit will be delivered into the passport)
  • Resident card (or alien registration certificate deemed equivalent to a resident card)
  • Payment of fees through the purchase of revenue stamps
    3,000 yen for single re-entry permit
    6,000 yen for multiple re-entry permit

2.8.5 Special re-entry permit syste

The introduction of the new residency management system from July 9, 2012 was accompanied by the introduction of a new “special re-entry permit” system. Under this system, foreign nationals in possession of a valid passport and resident card who declare their intention when they leave to re-enter Japan within 1 year of their departure to continue their activities in Japan are no longer, in principle, required to obtain a re-entry permit. However, if the period of stay will expire less than 1 year after departure, they must re-enter Japan before the expiration of this period of stay.

(Note) This special re-entry permit system also applies to foreign nationals in possession of a passport stating “A resident card is to be issued later”

Section2. Visas and Status of Residence

Samples of forms businesses are required to submit to authorities

No. Section Form English Japanese
1 2-3a Application for Certificate of Eligibility "Intra-company Transferee" English / JapanesePDF file(729KB) 
2 2-3b Application for Certificate of Eligibility "Engineer / Specialist in Humanities / International Services" English / JapanesePDF file(794KB) 
3 2-3c Application for Certificate of Eligibility "Business Manager" English / JapanesePDF file(734KB) 

These sample application forms indicate the essential points and descriptive examples of registration, visa, taxation, and personnel and labor affairs that are necessary when a foreign company establishes a corporation etc. in Japan. These documents are not published by competent authorities and therefore are not official. Therefore, when going through the official procedures consult a specialist or download the official documents from the competent authorities.

  • Careers in JAPAN. External site: a new window will open.
  • Biz match for India-Japan HSR Industries (Photo by Kazumiki Miura Courtesy of JARTS)
  • TTPP: international Business Matching site. All free!
  • J-messe : Online Trade Fair Database
  • Abenomics is progressing! External site: a new window will open.
  • JAPAN VIDEOS DISCOVER the SPIRIT of JAPAN. External site: a new window will open.