Investing in Japan
JETRO Invest Japan Report 2018 (Summary) 5. JETRO Efforts to Promote Investment in Japan
- Investments successfully attracted: 193
- Projects supported: 1,741
- An increasingly high ratio of investments from Asia in recent years, with China in particular taking on a major role. (Top three countries: China, US, Korea)
- The ICT/telecommunications industry accounts for the largest percentage of investments, although investment numbers are also growing in the pharmaceutical and medical field and tourism field.
- Investment in regions other than Tokyo is expanding (46%).
(1) Providing information on Japanese business environment
Overseas seminars, symposiums, Invest Japan website and other information on entering/investing in the Japanese market
(2) Supporting individual FDI projects in Japan
- Provision of individualized support in collaboration with overseas offices, domestic offices, and the Tokyo and Osaka Head Offices
- Target fields in FDI: R&D hubs and similar offering high added value and benefits for Japan's economy
- Close company partners: Introduction of the Personal Advisors System for Foreign Companies
- Example cases of responses to requests and consultations from foreign companies and newly established business endeavors in Japan through JETRO support
(3) Promoting secondary investments and contributing to regional revitalization
- Support for staffing -networking opportunities between foreign-affiliated companies and foreign exchange students in Japan
- Networking opportunities for companies to expand their business
- Joint endeavors with local governments to attract foreign investment to local regions（the Support Program for Regional Foreign Direct Investment in Japan and Regional Business Conference (RBC)）
(4) Approach toward improvement of the business environment
- "Survey on Japan's Investment Climate" sent to foreign-affiliated companies（Refer to Chapter 4）
- "Investment Advisor Assignment System"
- “Personal Advisors System for Foreign Companies”
- Visas for Coworking Space Users: Special Government Measure in Response to JETRO Requests