Investing in Japan
Regional Information Tottori
Tottori, aiming to gather three growing industry areas, automobile, aircraft, and medical equipment
Your Regional Guide : Hiroshi Miyawaki
1-220 Higashimachi, Tottori-city, Tottori Prefecture 680-8570
- If you can't find the information you need, please contact JETRO .
- Please note that inquires not regarding investment in Japan may not be answered.
The information below is as of January 2017.
|Population *1||0.57 million|
|Labor force *1||0.29 million|
|Area *2||3,507.1 km²|
|GDP *3||1,767,569 million yen|
|Major industries||Electrical manufacturing/electronics industry, food industry|
|Land price(for 1m²) *5||
|Number of Establishments *6||27,492|
|Number of Employees *6||226,944|
Strength of the region's industries and economy
The prefecture boasts the manufacturing industry as a core industry, thanks to the electronic components and devices industries that located their mass production divisions in the prefecture from around late 1980s to early 1990s. The product shipment value in the prefecture was 68.04 million yen (2014 Census of Manufacturers). The prefecture is the home of industrial clusters in a variety of industries. In particular, the eastern and central areas of the prefectures boat clusters of manufacturers in the electronic components and devices, information and communications related equipment, and, electrical parts and devices. The prefecture has been proactively engaging the creation of new industries by medical innovation, e.g., medical equipment and drug development, and service innovation, e.g., BPO, data center, tourism industry and content industry, which are areas recently attracting public attention as growth fields.
Foreign company(s) operating in the industry
Tottori is actively promoting to develop its environment to attract both domestic and foreign companies. This includes the improvement of the trading environment by strengthening the functions of the international trading port at the Sakai Port located in the western part of Tottori.
Tottori Prefecture offers incentive programs, some of the most generous in Japan, to back up companies moving into the prefecture. Municipalities also have their own subsidy programs that can be effectively combined with the prefectures.
- Location assistance for overseas companies
- Port/harbor use promotion funds
- Funding to assist the overseas development of companies based in Tottori
- Sakaiminato: subsidy program for new overseas container shippers
- Company location subsidies
- Information & communications-related employment subsidies
- Administrative and managerial employment creation subsidies, etc.
Services for investment in Japan
|Providing market information||Advice on the matters related to entering into Japanese market|
|Support for establishing a base||Provision of facilities including a incubation office|
Name: Tottori International Business Center
Location: Yume-Mitato Tower 1F, 255-3 Takeuchi Danchi, Sakaiminato, Tottori 684-0046
Telephone: 0859-30-3161 Fax: 0859-30-3162
1. Implementation of individual consultations concerning the trade and expansion of sales channels to overseas countries
2. Provision of information concerning the international economy, industries, and export/import systems
3. Matching support concerning business transactions with overseas companies
4. Support for business in Russia
4. Promotion of cooperation with trade organizations in the prefecture