Investing in Japan
Regional Information Shizuoka city
Shizuoka City, aiming to be the “only one” in marine industry innovation
Your Regional Guide
6-8, Asahi-cho, Shimizu-ku, Shizuoka-city, Shizuoka Prefecture 424-8701
- If you can't find the information you need, please contact JETRO .
- Please note that inquires not regarding investment in Japan may not be answered.
The information below is as of November 2017.
|Population *1||0.72 million|
|Labor force *1||0.38 million|
|Area *2||1,411.9 km²|
|Major industries||Electric machinery manufacturing, food product manufacturing, plastic model manufacturing, financial services, wholesaling/retailing|
|Land price(for 1m²) *5||
|Number of Establishments *6||38,191|
|Number of Employees *6||372,917|
Strength of the region's industries and economy
An optimal venue for business activities that involve interaction between people and industry, goods and information, and cities and nature, Shizuoka City offers a diverse range of business opportunities.
The Shin-Tomei Expressway, The Tomei Expressway and the Tokaido Shinkansen run through Shizuoka City, where a well-balanced variety of industries have converged, taking advantage of good access to both Tokyo and Osaka. Educational/research institutions that train and produce the personnel needed by industry, together with industry support and convention facilities, have established an ever greater presence in recent years, fashioning an environment that facilitates entrepreneurship.
- Related Link
- Industrial cluster, project: Food Science Hills
System for provision of subsidies to promote setting up of businesses
- Subsidies are available to partially cover land acquisition costs, capital investments, and new hiring expenses for companies setting up factories, etc., within the city.
- Subsidies are available to partially cover building rental fees for companies renting business offices, etc., within the city
- Subsidies for companies doing business related to the Mt. Fuji Shizuoka Airport such as branch offices of airline companies and foreign travel agencies, to partially cover expenses for opening business offices (building rental fees, and purchase costs for office equipment, etc.) (-FY 2012)
Industry support organizations such as the Shizuoka City Industrial-Academic Exchange Center and the Shizuoka City Shimizu Industry & Information Plaza as well as incubation facilities have come together to establish a robust support system for consultations on business/company start-ups, coordination of industrial-academic collaboration, consultations on developing sales channels, etc.
Services for investment in Japan
|Support for establishing a base||Provision of facilities including a incubation office|
- SOHO Shizuoka: Leases out facilities, supports second startups and matches up businesses with potential partners/customers
- B-nest: This business support facility comprises the Shizuoka City Industrial-Academic Exchange Center and the Shizuoka City Gokomachi Library. B-nest offers a broad range of business support (personnel training, industrial-academic collaboration, and information provision) to persons interested in starting their own businesses, company managers confronting business difficulties, and small and medium-sized companies interested in undertaking new businesses, and generates new business opportunities.
- Shimizu Industry & Information Plaza: The Plaza forms networks between and within industry sectors, promotes computerization at small and medium-sized enterprises to rationalize management, and offers startup support and business matching as an incubation facility.
- The Center for Creative Communications (CCC): The center for creative communication has been set up as a facility for nurturing creative talent, encouraging content industry development, and promoting collaboration with local industry and businesses.
- Related Link
- the center for creative communications