Investing in Japan
Regional Information Nagoya city
Nagoya City, the central city of Greater Nagoya—one of the world’s largest centers for monodzukuri (manufacturing)
Your Regional Guide
Industry & Labor Division, Industry Department, Civic & Economic Affairs Bureau
1-1, Sannomaru 3-chome, Naka-ku, Nagoya, 460-8508
- If you can't find the information you need, please contact JETRO.
- Please note that inquires not regarding investment in Japan may not be answered.
The information below is as of November 2017.
|Population *1||2.26 million|
|Labor force *1||1.15 million|
|GDP *3||12,355,900 million yen|
|Major industries||Wholesale/Retail, Service Industry, Real Estate, ICT, and Manufacturing|
|Land price(for 1m²) *5||
|Number of Establishments *6||38,052|
|Number of Employees *6||394,381|
Strength of the region's industries and economy
In Nagoya area, one of the three major economic areas in Japan, manufacturing industries such as automobile, aircraft, and machine tools are located. Its scale is the largest in Japan. Commerce and service business have been developed in Nagoya, the central city of the area, based on the accumulation of the history of manufacturing industry. The city has well-balanced industrial structure. Moreover, it has easy access to other countries as well as any part of Japan, because it is located in the central part of Japan and its infrastructure of land, sea, and air is in good condition. Nagoya City welcomes the companies seeking a business opportunity with the best environment.
- Related Link
- Industrial cluster, project: Special Zone to Create Asia No.1 Aerospace Industrial Center
Foreign company(s) operating in the industry
In FY2015, the city accepted business development of companies in the manufacturing industry (automobile- and manufacturing machinery-related industries), service industries (videophone conference, medical care, etc.), and products export/import industry.
In addition to the subsidy system applied to the establishement of an office, a plant, or a research facility in Nagoya City, GNI provides subsidies for foreign firms starting their business in the Greater Nagoya area, including costs for setting-up businesses, recruitment of new employees and finding business offices.
Subsidies for the Promotion of Industrial Siting within the City of Nagoya (Rental and Owned)
|Incentive target industries||
It covers the companies in the field of specified industry in Nagoya City. Manufacturing is also included in case of small and medium-sized companies.
|Outline of Incentives (Requirements etc.)||
- Requirements for the Subsidy
- Related Link
- Industrial location guide: Invest in Nagoya! The Perfect place for your business!
- Incentive: Subsidies for Industry Development
- Incentive: GNI Business Start-up Support Program
Aichi-Nagoya International Business Access Center (I-BAC)
I-BAC is a one-stop service organization that offers information, various consultation services and advice to foreign companies that plan to establish a presence in Aichi Prefecture and Nagoya. Inquiries are welcome from Japanese companies that are interested in business matching with foreign companies that have already moved into the area.
I-BAC services include the following:
- Information on business partners
- Information about incentives
- Information on office and plant siting
- Information on human resources
- Information on living in the area
- Introduction of specialists and supporting businesses
- Consultation and advice on permits and procedures for establishing a business presence
- Related Link
- Nagoya Business Incubator