Investing in Japan
Regional Information Nagahama city
Global industry developed “Nagahama style”
Your Regional Guide : Commerce and Industry Promotion Division, Department of Industry and Tourism
Commerce and Industry Promotion Division, Department of Industry and Tourism
632 Yawatahigashi-chou, Nagahama-city, Shiga Prefecture 526-8501
- If you can't find the information you need, please contact JETRO .
- Please note that inquires not regarding investment in Japan may not be answered.
The information below is as of January 2017.
|Population *1||0.11 million|
|Labor force *1||0.06 million|
|Area *2||681.0 km²|
|Major industries||General machinery, metal goods, plastic, textile industry, and ceramics|
|Land price(for 1m²) *5||
|Number of Establishments *6||6,085|
|Number of Employees *6||53,381|
Strength of the region's industries and economy
Nagahama City welcomed a number of companies and research/development facilities with high-level technical capabilities in the field of manufacturing textiles, synthetic resins, industrial machinery, and information/communication devices. It is also endeavoring to invite the environmental and biotechnology-related industries. As for the former field, the Shiga Environmental Business Exhibition Enviro-Shiga, one of the largest comprehensive trade fairs of the environmental industry, is held every year, and about twenty companies participate from Nagahama and neighboring cities. The exhibition is highly evaluated by the companies tackling the environmental business because participation in it leads to an improved corporate image and the proof of high technical capability. As for the latter field, the Nagahama Institute of Bio-Science and Technology, Japan's first four-year college specialized in bio-science, is located in the Nagahama Science Park, and it is designated as the base of biotechnology business promotion. It focuses its efforts on the creation of new business through collaboration with existing companies or change of business categories/development of new business areas.
- A subsidy is granted to the companies who are located in the City, according to the amount invested to fixed assets and the number of employees.
- The Nagahama City Government provides full support, including reduced time required for administrative formalities, for those who are located in the City.
Subsidy provided by Nagahama City to companies building a new factory in the city
Tax exemption for the construction of new factories
1) 100% of fixed asset tax for the first fiscal year
2) 75% of fixed asset tax for the second fiscal year
3) 50% of fixed asset tax for the third fiscal year
1) 100 million yen or over invested to fixed assets (excluding acquisition of land)
2) 5 new employment or over
3) Conclusion of an environmental conservation agreement
Rent subsidy for those moving away from incubation center:
700 yen per square meter per month (300,000 yen maximum per year)
Those who moved away from an incubation center (including the ones in other cities)
Subsidy for promoting employment (100 persons maximum):
If the employee is a resident of Nagahama City: 100,000 yen per person
- Related Link
- Industrial location guide: Nagahama Corporate Location Guide
Services for investment in Japan
|Support for establishing a base||Provision of facilities including a incubation office|