Investing in Japan
Latest Updates【Headquarters for Japan’s Economic Revitalization】Opening of the single window of the Government of Japan for "Regulatory Sandbox framework in Japan"
Jun 26, 2018
On June 6, 2018, the Headquarters for Japan’s Economic Revitalization of the Cabinet Secretariat opened the single window of the Government of Japan for the Regulatory Sandbox framework in Japan (called the “Regulatory Sandbox Team in Japan”) within the Japan Economic Revitalization Bureau, with a corresponding page launched on the “Prime Minister of Japan and His Cabinet” website.
Based on the Act on Special Measures for Boosting Productivity that became effective on the same day, the Regulatory Sandbox framework in Japan enables speedy verification and data collection that can lead to regulatory reforms through establishment of an environment where new technologies and business models can be demonstrated, under certain conditions such as limited participants or duration, without adhering to existing regulations.
The framework can be used by Japanese as well as foreign companies, and it enables companies that apply, and receive approval, for projects not covered by present laws and regulations to carry out a demonstration under certain conditions without the need for legal amendment.
If you are of an overseas company or a foreign-affiliated company in Japan considering using this framework, you can consult the "Invest Japan Hotline" of JETRO before consulting the GoJ's Regulatory Sandbox Team.
- The single window ;
- GoJ's Regulatory Sandbox Team (in liaison with the Cabinet Office), within the Japan Economic Revitalization Bureau of the Cabinet Secretariat
- If you are of an overseas company or a foreign-affiliated company in Japan, you can consult the "Invest Japan Hotline" of JETRO before consulting the GoJ's Regulatory Sandbox Team.
- Links ;
- Website of the GoJ's Regulatory Sandbox Team and Innovative Technology/Business Model Evaluation Committee at Regulatory Sandbox in Japan
- There is also an detailed explanation about the Regulatory Sandbox framework on the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry website (Japanese only).
- Detailed overview in English (1.0MB)