Investing in Japan
[Japanese Fiscal Year 2012] Subsidy Program for Projects Promoting Asian Site Location in Japan
Aug 28, 2012
The subsidy Program for Promoting Asian Site Location in Japan is intended to sustain and strengthen high-value-added business sites in Japan and to achieve sustainable growth of the Japanese economy by supporting the establishment of new high-value-added sites in Japan by global companies operating internationally, such as Regional Headquarters or R&D Sites, which have been proven to have a significant impact on the Japanese economy, and by strategically and proactively inviting and building high-value-added business functions that match the strength of the Japanese economy.
- (Reference) List of projects selected under the FY 2011 Subsidy Program for Projects Promoting Asian Site Location in Japan （132KB）
- Subsidy Program for Projects Promoting Asian Site Location in Japan: Application Guidelines（156KB）
- Application Forms（272KB）
- (Reference) guidelines for Completing Application Forms（340KB）
*The Asia Business Location Law, which is promulgated on August 3rd 2012 and a related measure to this subsidy program, was enacted on this Diet and is to be effective. The law gives incentives (e.g., reduced corporate tax burdens, lower patent fees) to global companies certified by the competent minister, to attract global companies R&D centers and Regional Headquarters to Japan. Dual application along with this subsidy program is permissible when the company meets the certification criteria of the law.
*JETRO is the Secretariat for Subsidy Program for Projects Promoting Asian Site Location in Japan.
- Projects eligible for the subsidy shall be those for establishing a new Regional Headquarters or R&D Site in Japan. However, the relocation and consolidation of existing sites in Japan are not eligible for the subsidy.
- The relevant headquarters’ operations or R&D activities must continue for a minimum of 3 years after the end of project period.
- The investment plan must not have been publicly announced, nor the placing of orders, making of contracts, etc. been undertaken prior to the cabinet approval of the budget bill of 2012 general account (December 24th, 2011).
*Foreign corporations (including branch offices in Japan) must have corporate status in Japan by the time of submitting the grant application if their site is selected by this subsidy program.
Private enterprises that satisfy all of the below requirements:
- Belong to a corporate body consisting of group companies that are operating an actual business in two or more countries.
- Have corporate status in Japan
- Survey design costs (Survey and design costs needed for building, refurbishment or facility installation)
- Facility costs (Costs required for purchasing, building or refurbishment of facilities, including integrally developed facilities)
- Equipment costs (Costs needed for purchasing, and setting up equipment and software)
- Facility lease fee
Up to one-half for SMEs; up to one-third for non-SMEs; up to two-thirds for those establishing a site in the disaster afflicted zones (Limit: 0.5 billion yen)
Period of Application
*Application has been closed on November 19th, 2012
- Application / Inquiries
Secretariat for Subsidy Program for Projects Promoting Asian Site Location in Japan
Invest Japan Department, JETRO
TEL: +81-(0)3-3582-5234 FAX: +81-(0)3-3505-1990
[Other Organization with the Ability to Respond to Inquiries]
Trade and Investment Facilitation Division, Trade and Economic Cooperation Bureau, Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI)
TEL: +81-(0)3-3501-1511(3181-3186) FAX: +81-(0)3-3501-2082