Investing in Japan
The information below is as of July 2012.
- Your Regional Guide: Yukio Otani
Inquires about investment in Japan.
Industrial Promotion Division, Industry and Labor Department
1 Tonomachi, Matsue-city, Shimane Prefecture 690-8501
TEL: +81-852-22-5295 FAX: +81-852-22-6080
*If you can't find the information you need, please contact JETRO.
*Search for business partners in Japan via "Database of candidate partners" in the "General Business Information" section or using TTPP (Trade Tie-up Promotion Program), JETRO's free online business matching database.
*Please note that inquires not regarding investment in Japan may not be answered.
|Labor force*1||0.36 million|
|GDP*3||2,333,570 million yen|
|Major industries||Information and telecommunications equipment, iron and steel, general machinery, electronic components and devices, food ceramic/sand and stones|
*1 Population Census 2010, Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications *2 Area data 2010, Geospatial Information Authority of Japan *3 Prefectural Citizens' Economic Accounts 2008, Cabinet Office
*Ask the local government for the latest data.
Strength of the region's industries and economy
Tertiary industry contributes the largest share to aggregate production. Shimane Prefecture is rich in water resources and land prices are also relatively low relative to Japan as a whole. Consequently, a large percentage of manufacturing is in processing and assembly industries such as electrical equipment and general machinery manufacturing.
Foreign company(s) operating in the industry
|Company name||Crestron Japan, Inc.|
|Industry sector||Distributive trade of control machinery of videos and audios|
|Date of entry||May 2002|
|Motivation for selecting region||
|Support provided by local government or JETRO||
Human network (fund raising in particular)
|Company name||MC SECURITY Co.,Ltd.|
|Industry sector||Manufacture, marketing, maintenance of electronic equipment|
|Date of entry||November 2007|
|Motivation for selecting region||
Support menus will be matched to the needs of individual corporations upon request.
<Subsidies and funding programs>
- Subsidy systems are available to help cover land acquisition costs, rent, telecommunications fees, etc.
- In case of acquisition of a certain area of land, 15 to 50% of acquisition costs for the land are subsidized.
- A lease system for land can be used if certain requirements are met.
- A subsidy system for electricity expenses (50 to 100% of the amount for eight years) can be used if certain requirements are met.
- Employment aid of one million yen per employee is provided if certain requirements are met.
- Office rental costs are subsidized (five-sixths of the rent for five years) if certain requirements are met.
- 50 percent of charges for high-speed information and communication are subsidized if certain requirements are met.
Financing systems are available to help cover acquisition costs of land, building and machinery and equipment.
Low-interest and long-term loans can be used if certain requirements are met.
Location Plan Subsidy systems are available for approved companies (up to 2 billion yen).
Services for investment in Japan
|Providing market information||Consulting by external experts and advisers|
|Support for establishing a base||Providing incubation facilities or other facilities, Arranging the meetings needed to establish a base (real estate, manpower services), Introduction of available properties and advice on hiring personnel, Providing information on permits and licensing procedures, Providing information on subsidy programs|